Thursday, May 26, 2011

DREAMING


"...I am sleeping and watching you with one
eye at the same time...!"
Whenever our dogs dream, I personally want to wake them up, because I fear a bad dream is occurring and want to "prevent" what I think may be discomforting.
           It appears he or she runs, woofs, and 
           wiggles, and squeaks while asleep.
But, I have learned, unless the dream will harm them, it's best to let them dream uninterrupted.
"...ummm food ..."
Dogs awakened from a deep sleep may respond irritable.  Why?  I don't know.  Maybe it is best to let them dream their happy dream of food, chasing a cat, or bird.  
Francesca le Bon Bon



She tends to always sleep on her back with feet in the air, or head 
hanging-over-her-bed...must be a deep relaxed sleep!               


Dogs have different sleep phases, just like humans do.  The only difference is the length of time.  
in a REM mode?
in a SWS mode?

Dogs go through Slow Wave Sleep (SWS)  and Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep.


REM Sleep Cycle:
.  more brain activity
.  twitching, or "running"
.  extremely deep sleep.       


SWS Sleep Cycle:
. breathing deeply and still
. more likely to wake-up      




Another interesting behavior, is the dog's desire
to rest or sleep back-to-back  with another dog, or with you...a beautiful sign of wanting to bond and way of showing affection...so sweet!


"...my friend...."
So what do you thing your dogs' dream about?
I think that's a secret our four-legged bundle of fur will always get to keep!


"...you will never know
about my dream..."
Next time, when your dog is curled-up in bed, eyes shut and paws twitching, with an occasional  soft whining or yowling that  breaks the silence . . . ALLOW  
to have the 
dream complete the 
chase, capture, or sniffing!  I've learned to allow
my dogs to chase, and whine in their 
airy dream space, and will never know their 
private dreams. 

No comments:

Post a Comment